Spring Cleaning: Roof Inspection Checklist
Here in Westchester, we are all enjoying that after the long snowy winter, the weather is finally starting to warm up! April is when most homeowners put together their spring cleaning and household maintenance list.
As you begin to clean and organize your home for Spring, do not forget to check your home’s exterior, including your gutters, flashing, and roof.
Our expert roofing team came up with this roof inspection checklist that you can follow to ensure you know what to look for when assessing your roof before this Spring, of course, if you have questions, call us, we will send a team out (we do not want you getting up a ladder, roofing is dangerous work!):
Check the Roof for Loose Shingles
- The snow and ice damage roofs and lead to curling, separation, or complete shingles’ tearing. Check whether there is damage on the shingles and if you find an issue, fix it as soon as possible since it may lead to water damage and mold if ignored.
Examine the Flashing and Chimney
- Sometimes, flashings pull away from the chimney’s roof, thus creating spaces that allow water and bugs to penetrate. Although these are minor fixes, it is crucial to establish precisely where the damage exists before you cover them up.
Check for Tree Branches
- Tree branches usually fall on the roof during winter storms. For larger branches, it is advisable to seek assistance from a roofing professional. Failing to remove larger branches on the roof can cause leakages, allowing water to penetrate your house.
Get Rid of All Roof Debris
- When debris accumulates on your roof it is likely to promote the growth of mold and mildew. In the end, it damages your roof, which leaves you with no option other than going for a repair or replacement.
Wash the Mold and Mildew
- Mold and mildew are a health risk to you and your roof; thus, you should check for any signs of growth by looking at any discolored streaks on the roof. Although you can wash them off, hiring professionals is advisable since they do it while considering all safety measures.
Examine the Attic
- Check for signs of mold or water damage on your ceiling and attic. Suppose you notice any smelly mildew or staining. In that case, it is recommendable you seek professional assistance to pinpoint the exact cause of the issue and fix it quickly before it worsens.
Clean the Gutters
- Granules and other material usually clog the gutter and leads to overflows. Check for such issues on the gutter and clean it. Additionally, check whether you need to replace the shingles that become thinner as the materials fall off. Generally, cleaning the gutter is a demanding and time-consuming task regardless of how you choose to do it, and hiring a professional is always the best option.
Take Action Today!
Spring is perfect to plan and schedule a roof inspection. However, it is worth taking preventative measures instead of waiting until damage occurs on your roof. At George’s Seamless Gutters and The Gutter Pros of Westchester, we are committed to providing Westchester’s finest roof repair, roof installation, gutter repair, gutter installation, and skylight repair and replacement anywhere. When it comes to your home’s top-down defense against the worst Mother Nature throws our way, my team should be your first call!
Contact us today for assistance.